Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Personal Sized Baked Oatmeal with Individual Toppings: Gluten Free & Diabetic Friendly












When I woke up this morning, I intended to go about my day as I had planned the night before. Dentist appt., lunch with my little sister, and then work. But much to my surprise, I woke up to a voice mail from the dentist saying that my appt. was cancelled. And a phone call from my sister telling me that plans changed. Suddenly my day was empty, and I had nothing to do! So what is one to do? Besides bake! So I did!! I made a dozen of these personalized baked oatmeals.














This recipe is so fun because you really can 'make it your own'. I decorated them with a few different kinds of goodies- Crasins, Sliced Almonds, and Chocolate Chips. Mixed & matched them as I liked! I also, added some frozen mixer berries right into the oatmeal- Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, strawberries.











When I'm cooking & baking I have a bad habit of not reading the whole recipe before I start. Today, that was the case yet again. I made the batter, poured it into the liners (of which I only had 14 to begin with), and then realized that I had forgot to add the milk.. Ugh! So I had to dump it all from the liners back into the bowl and add the milk. It made a huge difference, and I'm glad I remembered before it was too late. I didn't have cooking spray, so I just figured it would be alright if I didn't spray them... Wrong! As you can see below, the batter stuck really bad! Spraying is a must!











After all of my mishaps, I finally got these little guys in the oven! And oh, did they smell good! I baked them for about 30 mins, and let them cool on a wire rack. I mentioned that I only made a dozen, but I have a ton of left over batter that I didn't have time to bake today. Probably enough to make at least 18 more. Despite the oatmeal sticking to the liner- they were quite tasty!


Personal Sized Baked Oatmeal with Individual Toppings: Gluten Free & Diabetic Friendly

Recipe adapted from Sugar-Free Mom.

Ingredients

  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups applesauce, unsweetened
  • 5 cups, Old Fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 2 3/4 cups milk (I used 1%)
  • 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
  • 3 Tbsp Sugar (Next time I'm trying brown sugar)
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Optional toppings: raisins, walnuts, chocolate chips

Nutrition Info using stevia- may vary using sugar (without toppings)

Servings: 18* Calories: 143* Fat: 4g* Fiber: 4g* Carbs: 23g* Protein: 6g*

Using the Weight Watchers Recipe Builder Points+: 3*

------------------------------------------

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix eggs, vanilla, applesauce, banana and Stevia together in a bowl.
  3. Add in oats, salt, baking powder, flax and cinnamon and mix well with wet ingredients.
  4. Finally pour in milk and combine.
  5. Spray a 12 and 6 capacity muffin tin with cooking spray or use cupcake liners.
    Pour mixture evenly into muffin tin cups.
  6. If using toppings add them onto the tops of muffins now. If using fresh or frozen fruit, drop it right into the batter.
  7. Bake 30 minutes until a toothpick in center comes out clean. Cool and enjoy or freeze them in gallon freezer bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment