Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Breakfast Blueberry Quinoa




Quinoa, a grain that I had only tried once before- and not been impressed with. I tried it in a pre-packaged savory salad, when I worked salad bar prep. at a local grocery store. So I figured if I made it fresh myself, it would be better. This recipe is close to oatmeal, and I LOVE oatmeal- How could this go wrong?! Well, I have to tell you- I was not impressed with this recipe. Although since it was my first time making quinoa, I may have not rinsed enough or something.. (I made quinoa mac n' cheese a week later and is was delicious!) In this recipe the quinoa tasted kind of bitter, so I will be trying this recipe again soon to see if anything changes. Quinoa is so good for you, and is high in protein! I really want to like it, and start eating more of it!


Usually served in savory side dishes, quinoa -- a high-protein seed -- also makes a wonderful hot cereal.

Martha Stewart Living, February 2010
Yield Makes 2 cups
Ingredients
2 cups whole or low-fat milk, plus more for serving
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
3 tablespoons light-brown sugar, plus more for serving
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for serving
1 cup (1/2 pint) fresh blueberries, plus more for serving
Directions
1. Bring milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until three-quarters of the milk has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
2. Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Cook, covered, until almost all the milk has been absorbed, about 8 minutes. Stir in blueberries, and cook for 30 seconds. Serve with additional milk, sugar, cinnamon, and blueberries.

Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment