Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Broiled Grapefruit

Lately my husband and I have been trying to eat healthier & work-out more to prepare our bodies for a Florida vacation in just a few months.. Which isn't that hard for me because I LOVE fruits & veggies! The working out is what's killing me..




An addition to my diet lately has been grapefruit for breakfast (My husband says it takes too long to eat a grapefruit, which means I got to eat all 6 of them by myself). It's an easy, very inexpensive, and super healthy breakfast! Normally I like mine with no sugar- just plain old grapefruit. After eating so many, I was getting tired of the same 'plain old grapefruit'- I wanted to try something different! I saw this on Pinterest, and I just couldn't resist! Broiled Grapefruit!! Sounds weird, right? I was slightly hesitant about it because warm grapefruit.. I mean really, that just sounds kinda odd. Odd enough for me to be curious and try it for myself. It was surprisingly tasty!


I cut the grapefruit in half, and drizzled it with a little agave nectar! I also sprinkled a little cinnamon sugar, and a pinch of nutmeg. Placed the grapefruit under the broiler for a few minutes, and when the sugar starts to crystallize- that's when you know it's ready!
Try it out, and let me know what you think!


Broiled Grapefruit

Yield: Serves 1-2

Ingredients:

1 large grapefruit, cut in half
Drizzle of agave nectar OR Honey
Sprinkling of Cinnamon Sugar

directions:

1. Turn on the oven broiler. I set mine at high temperature.

2. Using a pairing knife, cut all the way around the grapefruit and between the fruit and the rind. Try not to cut all the way through the bottom rind, you want to keep the juices. Drizzle agave nectar lightly over the grapefruit halves. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

3. Place the grapefruit halves on a baking sheet. Put in the oven, under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, just until the sugar is bubbling and crystallized.

4. Serve warm.

*Note-you can use honey instead of agave or brown sugar instead of Cinnamon sugar.*

Recipe originally adapted from http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/broiled-grapefruit-recipe/



Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking, yesterday, that I haven't had grapefruit in a long time. This looks yummy!!! I plan to try it!

    ReplyDelete